new for January/February 2014?
As is always the case, we've
been busy adding plenty of new features to Microwaves101. We ain't
been slack, Cap'n Walker!
Happy February, the month that most people can't pronounce. We've been so busy we forgot to watch the Superbowl, as usual. While some of you have been enjoying the polar vortex, we've had the warmest winter in many years here in Tucson. Time to get that AC unit fixed!
- The Sharkbite miter has been reduxed, to coin a new word, thanks to Darrell. He provided an analysis of an alternative sharkbite mitered corner in microstrip, along with a VSWR comparison of a square versus mitered corner. Thanks! Now, where's everybody else's homework assignments?
- Darrell also sent us a new photo for the Microwave Mortuary: semi-rigid coax nerd glasses!
- Ignoring the dissipation in Wilkinson resistors seems to be a recurring theme at design reviews. How do you compute the dissipation of a Wilkinson resistor over frequency when your power divider is driving mismatched loads that might be out of phase? Yes, this can be done with harmonic balance, but did you know it can be calculated from S-parameters? Check out our update on the sniffer circuit!
- We have added Dr. John D. Kraus to the Microwave Hall of Fame. Kraus was known for inventing the spiral antenna and the corner reflector, and he was an early developer of radio astronomy and a noted book author. Nominated by Pedro, who is our latest Microwaves101 pocketknife winner.
- We have added information on exploring the degrees of freedom in a Gysel power combiner. Two of the quarterwave sections are of arbitrary impedance, and the terminating resistors don't have to be a specific value. What values are best? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
- With help from a reader, we have added to the Warnecke Electron Tubes story on our where-are they-now? page. Let's keep those stories coming!
- The Unknown Editor provides a new musical lesson, involving the recently departed Pete Seeger. He also has a short list of expressions he could do without in 2014.
- We've made some minor progress on resurrecting the message board which is still down. We apologize for the inconvenience; eventually it will be back and better than ever!
- We tweaked the Microwaves101 front page to put useless trivia back at the top, while we wait for the redesigned front page from our IEEE-MTT-S partners. Sometimes you just have to amuse yourself, right? This month we feature Steve Brodie, who among other things was guest star in a Bugs Bunny cartoon!
- There are plenty of new data
sheets posted on our partner site, EverythingRF.com.
Need a specific amplifier? Use the search tool to quickly narrow
down your options.
Attention forward thinking microwave
marketeers: check out information on advertising with us. Sponsorship
information is but a click away... come and share the magic
of 15,000 page views per weekday. Hey that rhymes! Join our best
friends in the Virtual Lobby!
As always, we want you to sign up for the MW101Stuff
newsletter, or submit a photo for our Microwave
Mortuary. We'd love to hear from you, whether you have nice
things to say about Microwaves101.com or just want to tell us how
we've ruined your life!